I woke up bright and early at 7.30 to head down to Madinat Jumeirah for Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project's event to release a hundred turtles into the sea. I literally had to drag my sister and myself out of bed on a Friday, to brave the summer heat, but it was all worth it. The organizers did an excellent job apart from a few hitches but we both enjoyed seeing the lovable creatures.
|How awesome does the Burj Al Arab look?|
|Paddle boarders and Moms with children decided to head further in to catch a glimpse|
|Virgin Radio RJ Kris Fade in a Ninja Turtle suit (Raphael) in 37 degree heat. Hero in a half shell! Turtle Power!|
|The big turtles were released first.|
|They literally weigh more than a 100 pounds.|
|Kids were allowed to release baby turtles|
|Here's where I got a little emotional seeing the baby turtles scampering off and...OMG how adorable are they?!|
|Look at this little baby turtle, what a cutie.|
|My sister, Kasica, Virgin Radio presenter Big Rossi as Leonardo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle) and I strike a pose.|
|Yay! He's free!|
|Swim free, little turtle! Dubai will miss you!|
The good things about this event were that:
- It was well organized with parking and umbrellas for people to stand under and water was provided free of charge to hydrate ourselves with.
- Madinat Jumeirah is a great place to grab a bite to eat before or after, shop and chill.
- It started on time and the hosts were friendly and entertaining.
The not so good were:
- The cordoning off of areas should have been done before the event. A lot of people got excited to see the turtles and ended up pushing forward so people sitting down got upset.
- Signs should have been put up inside the Madinat, we were walking for ages before we found the beach.
The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation program released 150 critically endangered hawksbills, 3 green and 2 endangered loggerhead turtles, after nursing them back to health. 7 of them have satellite tags to update them on where they go and what they do. Here's an image of the feed:
|So cool. Look how far one of the turtles, Lepi reached.|
I personally think the event was a great success and it's such a great organization. I really enjoyed myself a lot. People who were whining about the heat, how long have you been living in Dubai? It's hot, it's summer, get over it!